Friday, November 25, 2011

The After Thanksgiving Dinner...And Lunch... And Possibly Breakfast.

I slept in this morning. I skipped the pushing and shoving that goes along with black Friday shopping to do something a little more productive. This is how I’m doing Thanksgiving leftovers this year, and it’s definitely NOT a run of the mill turkey sandwich.

            Of course it’s pie. There never seems to be enough room to stack everything between two slices of bread. I thought this would be a more convenient package for take to work lunches over the next couple days, and believe me nothing is left out.
            I used pre-made crust this morning, because, after a full day of cooking yesterday I thought my mom and I each deserve a break. Just roll out a crust into a prepared 9-inch pan, poke the bottom and start layering!


I started with stuffing, just barely coating the bottom.

Next comes the turkey. I used a whole thigh for dark meat and about a ¼ of a breast. I cut the turkey into long, bite-sized pieces. To preserve moisture in the pie I scattered a just little bit of the flavor-rich-fatty skin in the meat layer.

On top of the turkey goes cranberry sauce.

Next are your vegetables. Use whatever you have already made! I had roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and steamed green beans.

The whole thing is topped with a mountain of mashed white and sweet potato. I highly encourage stacking the potato layer as high as the crust can stretch. Cover the whole thing with a second crust. Use a touch of water to make the edges stick together. Press the edges with a fork. Brush the whole top with egg wash (one egg+ a splash of milk). Cover the edges of the pie with tin foil to prevent burnt edges. Don’t forget to put at least four small vent slits in the top. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes.

Serve warm with a heavy-handed spoonful of gravy.
I hope you had an enjoyable holiday yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment